GTX 1080 TI FE- Temp limit issue

Hello.My card Gtx 1080 TI FE stock.

Sometimes temp limit stops working on my card,fan goes from 49% to 60% on auto, and temps goes as high 85-86C and there is not thrm throttling on clocks. Any ideas? Card is 1080 TI FE stock,no oc. No OC programs installed. Rebooting pc cure this. When i reboot pc 83-84C max ,clocks throttle and fan max 49%.

Ist das normal?

I tried on 378.92 and 382 drivers and on newest.

Card sometimes goes above temp limit which is 84C. Go to 85-86C and when i looking to GPUZ its showing PWR LIMIT , or VREL.
I must restart pc to make again 83-84C max
Rebooting pc cure this. When i reboot pc 83-84C max again ,clocks throttle and fan max 49%.

Temperature suddenly goes past 84°C to 85-86C and the fanspeed goes up.

Gpuz shows Pwr Limit or VREL,instead of thermal limit.

I dont know why the card does it but it seems that it is ignoring the temperature limit all the sudden and using the powerlimit instead.

Can somebody explain me this? PLEASE . Is this normal or not? I am from England, sorry for using English .

Hey,

I cannot think of any other solution other than sending the card back to the retailer. All cards should throttle at various points, be that limitation to power, temps, voltage etc. At first my guess was that the card isn't actually physically in-tact, which would be the root cause of thermals suddenly spiking up (misalignment and poor contact of the cooling block), but even then, the card would be perfectly able to throttle itself back to safe limits.

The card doesn't seem to work even in stock configuration - that's a good a reason to contact the retailer and ask for a replacement.

Hope this helped :kahvi:

But i bought card in march. I cant send card back to retailer. Also i met few users with the same card and they got the same random issue. So what do now?

The temp limit is default at 84. I thought at the default setting the fan is targeted at 50% and the card would start throttling once it hits 84c so it wouldn't go past the temp limit of 84. But in my experience it goes past that limit from time to time and the fan would spin at 60-65%. Is this normal? Again this is at default setting with nothing overclocked. Going past the temp limit hitting 85-86c with loud fan noise is worrisome. I'm not sure if this is a driver problem or there's something wrong with my card?

Any ideas? My card is faulty ?

Viimeksi muokattu:
Huh, why can't you send the card back if you've just bought it a few months back? :confused:

Could you link any forum post/website/etc. where people have discussed this issue?

Admittedly this is the first time I've ever head a card ignoring it's predefined temp limit. It also doesn't make any sense to me why things suddenly reset back to normal when you reboot your computer neither it is commonplace for a graphics card to arbitrarily exceed its temp limit (which is predefined in the BIOS of the graphics card, not in the driver).

If this was something that you've done to the card yourself - modifying the BIOS settings, physically tampering with the card or somehow forcing higher temp limit through software, I would understand the confusing behavior, but like you said, you run the card at stock configuration.

It honestly is beyond me as to why this happens, that's why I suggested RMA'ing the card in the first place.

Yes. I met 2 peoples with 1080 ti fe stock and they get the same fluke with temp limit. I cant understand why this is happening at random times.

Ok here is link to person in my topic:

GTX 1080 Ti FE - weird clocks and temp change behavior.

Grazzers said:
"This won't help much I'm afraid but I have experienced what sounds like the same. Sometimes it seemed to me the thermal limit was 'forgotten' resulting in higher than usual temps, clock speed, and fan speed.

I had this issue on my 1080ti FE (now have hybrid cooler so it's not an issue) and also on a laptop with a 1080. So my belief is that it is common but generally not noticed. A few people online seem to report it but nobody can figure out why - including me after hours of trying to find the trigger."

Viimeksi muokattu:
D

Deleted member 3664

Vieras (tunnus poistettu)
Have you tried simply to use MSI Afterburner? You can use it to set a custom fan profile which will keep the card cool (as cool as the stock cooling is capable of) at whatever temperature you set it to ramp speeds up. That would automatically solve your problem of higher than usual temps because the custom fan profile would ramp up whenever it needs to cool down the card. You can also use Afterburner to set the temp and power target to 100% or slightly higher.

The weird thing is that i have higher clocks with higer temps like 85-86C. And gpuz showing VREL perfcap reason instead of THRM LIMIT :) .

D

Deleted member 3664

Vieras (tunnus poistettu)
The weird thing is that i have higher clocks with higer temps like 85-86C.
That is actually natural behavior. The temperature or power limits shouldn't change themselves but if they do, gpu boost will ramp up the clock speed when it can if it detects the card isn't capped at the limits yet. This will then naturally heat the gpu further and eventually hit the new cap which will then cause throttling. Try using MSI Afterburner as I suggested.

With MSI Afterburner you can also try to lower the temp limit and see how it affects the behaviour. Have you checked if there's a bios update for your card?

I have stock bios. All default and auto. No installed programs Afterburner or Precision. Only gpuz ,cpuz,steam,fraps.

As I understand it's actually better performance wise that gpu-z reports perfcap reason vrel than thermal limit. If the fan noise is the problem then use msi afterburner to adjust the fan curve and underclock the card or just lower the temp limit as suggested and see what happens.

Toggle Sidebar

Statistiikka

Viestiketjut
240 284
Jäsenet
70 885
Uusin jäsen
Miropetri

Hinta.fi

Ylös Bottom